Player X Butchers The Job Of GM

If I can get here in 15 minutes, Dean Lombardi is not gonna have too big a problem keeping the guys he really wants.

CapGeek1-6-24-2013

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dustin Brown ($3.175m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Matt Frattin ($0.488m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.273m)
Dwight King ($0.750m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.250m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.870m)
Brad Richardson ($1.000m) / Kyle Clifford ($0.714m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.000m)
Dustin Penner ($2.250m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.250m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.000m) / Slava Voynov ($4.167m)
Jake Muzzin ($0.635m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Keaton Ellerby ($0.735m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($5.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.550m)
OTHER
Buyout: Willie Mitchell ($1.167m)
——
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,222,811; BONUSES: $135,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $212,189

Here are the main ingredients:

Willie Mitchell gets bought out: uncertainty and potential for re-injury, age, and length of layoff make this a regrettable necessity. The guy is a warrior, but the team has to be more important than any one player. Mitchell needs to be told why this must happen and treated with great respect, and anything the team can do to help his rehab should be done, but the priority is clear. We love you, we’d love to have you, but we can’t wait to see if you come back, and if you come back how good you are, and if you are even good enough after the layoff at your age we can’t safely commit because of the chance for re-injury. Strangely, the concussion we took the chance against when we signed you is the least of our worries.

Colin Fraser gets waived or traded for picks and any other non-cap-hit asset. Faceoffs and checking are poor, penalties taken and lack of versatility make you 7th on our depth chart at center. Kopi, Richards, Carter, Stoll, Lewis and Richardson all have better total packages than you. You may be a better center than Richardson but his ability to play everything forward on any line makes your skill set far too limited. Sorry. Bye.

Richardson and Lewis both get 1 million each.

Richardson: stay for 2 years, with a team that will be a Cup contender for the next 5 years, or go find a new home for maybe 200,00 more.

Lewis: It’s a raise and we are tight on cash. Show yourself as we know you can be, and we will be giving you that chance to do so, and in 3 years you can look around.

Scuderi: Think about the kids. Stay here for 3 or 4 years and get only $150,000 less, and for that you get to remain with the best organization in the league. Moving costs alone, plus renting or buying another house wherever you end up makes the $150,000 seem meaningless. And, you are getting older, a slight discount is not unreasonable.

Penner: 2 million a season plus $250,000 for the playoff beard. Or is that backwards? Come on, maybe the regular season isn’t important to you and you save yourself for the playoffs where you are indeed able to play at another level, but we gotta play in the real world here, too. This is a safe and decent offer, you could maybe get more but then again who loves ya, baby?

Muzzin: You’re gonna be a star and we are gonna make you one. Sign now and don’t screw it up.

Clifford: Big Red Dog: Hartnell you’re not, but don’t imagine yourself as much less than that with continued development. The key here is where are you gonna blossom? We play you on all lines, and we don’t even expect you to fight that much. You belong here and we hope we will have to pay you a lot more in 3 years. Sign it.

Ellerby: When Sutter said we only made the playoffs because of you and Muzzin playing big minutes and doing it well, he forgot to praise you for playing both sides. He did that later, repeatedly: I just wish he had done it all in one easily linked quote. You are gonna earn you’re way up the lineup. Just don’t make me look like an ass for losing Martinez: he is an undersized puck mover that struggled at his forte, and you are a stay-at-home guy that showed good potential for good outlets and first passes, plus you adapted well to the Kings system of smart activation and strength at the pinch. You Hold The Point, you stay.

I left $212, 189 for wiggle room. That ain’t a lot of wiggling, but it works. Shave two guys 150k and suddenly you have 500k to work with.

Lose Fraser, Nolan and Martinez. Keep Penner, Scuderi, Richardson, Ellerby, Muzzin, Lewis, and oh, yeah, keep Scuderi. Worked for me.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Player X Butchers The Job Of GM

1. Tornado12 says:

Nice breakdown but I thought an injured player could not be bought out. Personally I think Mitchell comes back and that video he released with him skating was an effort by him to prove as much. This team needs Willie Mitchell. The defense was clearly not the same with him out and I am of the opinion he would have made a difference against the Blackhawks. Everyone gets slotted differently without him that just trickles down to the rest of the team. My point is I really don’t think letting him go would be a wise choice and I’m not even sure it’s possible at this time.

• Player X says:

I agree that we need the old Willie Mitchell. I am not sure that player exists, and I worry the cost to the team of finding out whether that player can come back. The Willie Mitchell we would get eats salary cap but is risky.
      As far as buying out an injured player, I am not sure of that actual status. He is not listed even on the roster, and I think he was medically cleared to play but didn’t. Even so, either he comes back “healthy” and we buy him out then, or he stays on LTIR and we get cap relief anyway.
      I loved Willie Mitchell two years ago; but he is 36 years old, has not played since June 11 2012 and is coming back from a knee injury that has already included a major, months-long setback. We just cannot count on getting 100% out of him anytime soon, if at all, the world keeps turning and decisions must be made.

• Tornado12 says:

Good point about him being cleared medically. I would like clarification because I’ve heard conflicting opinions on that.
        As far as the risk of retaining him and how effective he will be, I agree insofar that its a risk but imnsho its a worthwhile risk. This team may be good enough to reach the conference finals as is but I don’t think they can get the cup without him. Regehr is not Willie Mitchell and all else being equal that’s what it boils down to for me.

• Player X says:

I guess we both hope to have a clear indication of his ability to perform by the time training camp is over. That way, Lombardi makes an informed decision. I also completely agree that Mitchell’s full skillset is not currently matched on the left side. Fun chat, salute.

2. Mik3ysfv says:

I hope you’re having a great summer, X.I’m under the impression from everything I understand that Willie Mitchell should not be bought out. I say LTIR him. I hate to doubt him, but really, what do we expect from a 36-year-old coming off an injury that he’s not been able to recover from so far.
    I do have high hopes for Matt Frattin, I think he will thrive with this team. I really hope they split up Richards and Carter and use them both as centers. that would be an awesome list of centers with which to roll lines 1 through 4. I believe we have the wingers to round out that lineup. Or, keep Richards and Carter together leaving Stoll as third line center, and use of force line of Linden Vey and Tanner Pearson and either Nolan or someone else as the right wing, being a sheltered scoring 4th line. Keyword being “sheltered.” I have a couple of things to do but I will round out a couple of different line ups in the next hour or so.

• Player X says:

Not sure you can shelter a 4th line, especially with Sutter and his absolute commitment to using 4 lines. I just think it would be too many unproven players with your 4th line. Also, Nolan has lost his luster and at RW he is definitely at least vulnerable to Toffoli and Frattin.

Frankly I sort of expect the Kings to become a RW scoring team, with firepower on the right and stopping power on the left: Carter, Williams, Toffoli, now Frattin, we are offensive on the right side. Brown scores, but then you have King, Clifford, and either Richardson and reg-season Penner, or two new guys, on the left.
      I think we are just gonna have to accept that we can’t have a potent 4 Right wings, potent centers, stellar defense and then also afford potent Left Wings. Add in Mitchell’s money and the problem heightens.

3. Mik3ysfv says:

Should, meant couldn, t

• Player X says:

Again, the thinking is that Mitchell will either go LTIR or be bought out when healthy. I am not convinced that he isn’t at healthy status right now, but nonetheless he can be the target for cap relief either way, eventually.

4. Mik3ysfv says:

You may be right. By sheltered, I meant giving them purely offensive zone starts, and playing them against lower quality of competition. I would love to see Linden Vey, and Tanner Pearson, on a fourth line with a big bodied right wing. The defensive prowess of the first three lines should more than cover up for any mistakes these kids should make.
    my other option, is to use Kopitar-Carts-Richards- Stoll down the middle. That would be a very tough line up for anyone to match up with, and I think we do have the wingers to fill it out. Irregardless, I hope you have the best summer you’ve had in a long time, X!

5. Mik3ysfv says:

Brown/Kopitar/Williams
    Fratt/ Carter/Toffoli
    King-Penner?/ Richards/ Lewis
    Clifford/ Stoll/ Nolan

6. Mik3ysfv says:

Or throw Pearson into the mix, and it just Clifford and King and/or Penner. either way we have the wingers to make that work. With the solid defense corps, that would be one hell of a line up. I’m sure Darryl Sutter will consult with me over the offseason.

7. Mik3ysfv says:

Alright, ‘X. What do you think of the Kings’ draft? I am on the optimistic side, I like the size and speed we got, as well as their character. And that is only as far as I can tell from what I have seen and read, they fit in well with the Kings current locker room, and we’ll carry on the tradition in the years to come. I especially like Valentin Zykov. as well as the 6’7″monster that we drafted.
    What are your thoughts, Sleestack?

• Player X says:

Too many Right Wings, but other than that I like Zykov, he is built like Dwight King but unlike King his brain and feet look to be fast-twitch muscles.
      I am also intrigued by Kubalik: if he gets some meat on his bones, he could do something here. He has an edge, in the blurb they talked about him taking on Bertuzzi, and the TV commentators said Bertuzzi makes Andrew Shaw look like a Lady Byng winner. When a guy is willing to confront that kind of crap and also scores in the playoffs, as Kubalik did, then I like that guy.
      The rest of them, meh, I don’t know yet, we’ll see.